In this episode Y&Y review: The Last Jedi, Blade Runner 2049, and Lady Bird. James shares his adventures in Seoul, South Korea and Taiwan, and has a personal revelation.
CINEMA CORNER (Warning: Spoilers Below!): Time 00:00:33-00:34:45
The Last Jedi:
* James had 3 issues with the movie: Luke, the jokes, and the romance between Finn and Rose.
* Dan agrees with a friend that the opening joke wasn't great. Dan doesn't like the physics or inconsistencies in physics: Holdo's suicide maneuver, bombers in space, and the end scene on Crait with Rose's speeder intercepting Finn's speeder.
* James doesn't like that Rey is so natural at wielding a lightsaber.
* Canto Bight scene’s totally useless.
* Anyone can use the force.
Blade Runner 2049:
* Dan - it's very racially monochrome, no diversity in the future. Didn't bother him, but it was shot beautifully. The movie was a little long.
* James - the use of Asian items without Asians. The film hypersexualizes women. Feels there’s a plot hole with the “real memory”. Still, an enjoyable film with some beautiful moments.
* Lady Bird:
James - reminded him of "Rushmore". Lots of teen angst and intelligent humor. A little salty a Californian wasn’t cast for the lead, but not a deal breaker. Not sure what Lady Bird's motivation is.
* Daniel - thought it was overrated, but enjoyed it.
JAMES’ TRIP TO SOUTH KOREA AND TAIWAN: starts 00:34:45 to the end
* James went to Taiwan for preproduction on his short film. Did some location scouting. Also shot a mini-short film while there.
* James tried Tinder in Taiwan. Got 4x more likes in Taiwan vs. in America.
* More dating opportunities for Asian American men.
* Had a great date with a Japanese girl he met at a Taipei intersection. Focused on getting to know her emotionally.
* Seoul, Korea - Super cold weather. James doesn't speak Korean. Hung out with Teo. Met with Seng and his wife, had Korean BBQ. Had ginger chicken soup. Stayed in 3 different areas of Seoul: Hongdae (홍대/弘大), Gyeongbokgung (경복궁/景福宮), Sadang (사당/舍堂).
* Saw a gorgeous girl at the restaurant and gave her his Kakao username. Was one of the scariest moments he ever had.
* At another restaurant, James sees an attractive girl and asked her for directions to the palace. The girl writes detailed directions for James and lets her food get cold, despite his polite protestations.
* Highlight of the trip: At his 3rd Airbnb, joins a party of young artists/creatives. Screens his short film "Painting Hands" and others . (films at www.jamesyshih.com)
* He talks to some girls at a bar with no success.
* James realizes the reason why he seeks women's affection.
Dan: All my grievances with “The Last Jedi” have to do with physics.
Teacher: With all these women, you’re posing to them a question…
James: Am I lovable?
Teacher: You have to answer that for yourself.
Japanese - 今は今しかない - imawaimashikanai - There is only now, now.
Mandarin - 活在當下 - huó zài dāngxià - Live in the moment.
Yin & Young links:
* Main Website: http://www.jamesyshih.com/yin-young-podcast/
* iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/yin-young-podcast-jys/id1185421015?mt=2
* Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/yinyoungpodcast/
* YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkvtVW6pVPeKFn7H_6ai8lA?
* Stitcher - https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/yin-young-podcast