Youtube link: https://youtu.be/6R_EhkohGP4 (or click picture above)
After a month-long hiatus, Yin & Young are back with an interview with actor George Q. Nguyen discussing his path from SF to LA and balancing a day job with an acting career.
- Young met George in the Bay Area for a screening of "The Grandmaster."
- George's parents used to teach language for the Defense Institute in Monterey. Was born in El Paso, but grew up in San Francisco. Started as a film major as an undergrad and filmed in 8mm.
- Took one acting class as undergrad. Realized was more passionate about being in front of the camera or on stage then behind the camera.
- Changed his major to Cellular & Molecular Biology, wanted a more practical major.
- Got a job at ACT selling tickets to upcoming shows and was able to take ACT classes at night.
Started working at a biotech before graduation.
- "Whenever a director asks you to audition, you audition," was one of the first great acting lessons he learned.
- Continued working both at a biotech firm and at ACT doing sales.
- Biotech pays the bills to allow George to pursue his creative endeavors.
- George got hit by a car not too long ago. Broke his leg in different parts and as gone through multiple operations to fix things. Rough start to 2018.
- Being a consultant/contractor allows for some flexibility to go to auditions.
- Tried various martial arts in SF such as Wing Chun where he learned in a garage.
- Oscar Corner: Yin and Young and George discuss some Best Films from 2017.
"Coco", "Three Billboards", "I, Tonya", "The Shape of Water."
Mandarin - 清明節 - Qīngmíng Jié - Tomb Sweeping Day
Vietnamese - đám giỗ - death anniversary.
Japanese (slang) - yankee - delinquent
Yin & Young links:
* Main Website: http://www.jamesyshih.com/yin-young-podcast/
* iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/yin-young-podcast-jys/id1185421015?mt=2
* Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/yinyoungpodcast/
* YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkvtVW6pVPeKFn7H_6ai8lA?
* Stitcher - https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/yin-young-podcast