Yin & Young Episode 33 is here with Actor, Martial Artist Tiger Sheu! Tiger and James (Dan was unable to join this time) chop it up in our longest podcast to date!
* Tiger’s journey from Dallas to LA
* LA culture shock and the daily existential crisis
* Racism faced growing up.
* Finding a connection with Chinese martial arts.
* Family dynamics, being a latchkey kid
* Discussion of the infamous “Asian or Gay?” Details article.
* “You’re hot for an Asian guy” (1h35m mark)
* Martial Arts Corner: Tiger’s experience in Shaolin, Wushu, and Muay Thai
* Language Corner:
* Japanese: 反面教師 - Hanmen kyōshi - lit. reverse teacher. Interpretation: Learning from other peoples’ mistakes.
* Mandarin: 對牛彈琴 - Duìniútánqín - lit. playing piano for a cow. Interpretation: Know you’re audience.
* Advice to one’s younger self: Don’t put so much pressure on yourself; your personal mistakes do not mean you’ve failed on behalf of your parents and ancestors.
* Tiger’s Guy Mezger story: “Don’t call me master.” (2h15m mark)
* In Memoriam: Elizabeth Sung (1954 - 2018): a pioneer actress in film/tv and a mentor to many Asian American performers.
* About her: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0839287/bio?ref_=nm_ov_bio_sm
* Elizabeth Sung Memorial Scholarship Fund: https://www.vconline.org/elizabethsungfund/
Yin & Young links:
* Main Website: http://www.jamesyshih.com/yin-young-podcast/
* iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/yin-young-podcast-jys/id1185421015?mt=2
* Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/yinyoungpodcast/
* YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkvtVW6pVPeKFn7H_6ai8lA?
* Stitcher - https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/yin-young-podcast