Welcome back to Yin & Young the podcast! In this episode we spoke with Alex Chu, the writer and director of “For Izzy” (links below), an amazing film on the film circuit that delves into mental disorder, drug abuse, and the parent-child relationship in Asian American families. We delve into Alex's upbringing, thoughts on Asian representation, and his journey into filmmaking. Tiger Sheu returns as our special guest host!
Part 1: Growing Up (full episode in Youtube link above)
- Alex is originally from Canada and also spent part of his childhood in Libya due to his dad's job.
- Son of Taiwanese parents.
- Sent back to Canada for school.
- Regrets not learning the local language when living abroad.
- Lived in Asia (Hong Kong area) for 3 years
- Speaks English and Mandarin
- Grew up watching 80s films, lots of Arnold movies, Spielberg movies
- Growing up in Canada was fine, no overt racism, but did feel certain pressures like not wanting to speak Mandarin in public.
"For Izzy" links:
website - http://forizzy.com
Yin & Young links:
* Main Website: http://www.jamesyshih.com/yin-young-podcast/
* Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/yinyoungpodcast/
* Stitcher - https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/yin-young-podcast