Yin & Young Episode 28: Actor, Writer Teo Yoo (유태오)
Yin & Young meet with actor, writer Teo Yoo in Seoul and delve deep into his journey as an actor from Germany, to America, to the U.K. and eventually settling in Korea. Teo's path gives insight into the parent-child relationship, the artistic process, and finding one's place in the world.
* James met Teo at Sundance in 2015.
* Teo starred in the film “Seoul Searching” directed by Benson LEE (not Kim).
* Born and raised in Germany, Teo left at age 20.
* Wasn't great at school, but excelled in the arts and athletics. Played a lot of street basketball.
* Made a deal with his parents to finish high school if he could travel for a year.
* Took classes at the Lee Strasberg school in New York and decided that acting was for him. Also studied Meisner technique.
* Maxed out his dad's credit card to pay for school over the course of two years.
* Used all his resources to buy tons of DVDs and to watch plays. Watched two films every day before he went to sleep.
* Sacrificed everything for acting: there were times he didn’t have enough money for food and or a place to sleep.
* After getting on the wait list, called the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art (RADA) everyday and until he got into the program.
* Teo went back to Germany soon after London and started writing poetry.
* Father's side is from North Korea. Mother's side is from North Korea and from a southern island of South Korea.
* His father started off as a miner and his mother was a nurse in Germany.
* After the mines closed down, the Yoo family started their own deli.
* In Korea, Germany, or the U.S., doesn't feel accepted as one of their own.
* Is a citizen of the world.
* Writing is his therapy.
* Teo’s a published children's author in Korea. Using Shakespearean rhythms, he wrote a story about a little monster that eats socks.
* Teo plays Viktor Tsoi in an upcoming film by Kirill Serebrennikov called “Leto”. Said it was his hardest role to date.
* Did research of Korean historical figures he would like to play such as Antonio Corea the “Korean Man”.
* Wants to cultivate his acting and reserve directing for his 40s.
* Has found spiritual help in the writings of Eckhart Tolle.
Language Corner: Where is the toilet?
Mandarin - 廁所在哪裡? - cèsuǒ zài nǎlǐ
Taiwanese - pian-so ti toh-ui?
Korean - 화장실이 어디예요 - hwajangsil-i eodiyeyo
German - Wo ist die Toilette?
Japanese - トイレはどこですか - toire wa dokodesu ka
Teo Yoo links:
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/teoyoo/ @teoyoo
Twitter: https://twitter.com/teoyoo @teoyoo
Soundcloud: Florence Kamerad - https://soundcloud.com/fyodorkamerad The tracks “Coelln 1988” and “Hopa Minor” were used for the intro and outro respectively. Song in the 60 sec teaser is “autumn 31”.
Seoul Searching (on Netflix): https://www.netflix.com/title/80106230
MV Noel(노을) - our last day (그날의 너에게): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fs9Ch5KUocQ
Russian Director Serebrennikov finishes “Leto” under house arrest: http://www.calvertjournal.com/news/show/9620/russian-director-serebrennikov-finishes-viktor-tsoi-rock-film-house-arrest
Yin & Young links:
* Main Website: http://www.jamesyshih.com/yin-young-podcast/
* iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/yin-young-podcast-jys/id1185421015?mt=2
* Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/yinyoungpodcast/
* YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkvtVW6pVPeKFn7H_6ai8lA?
* Stitcher - https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/yin-young-podcast